Thursday 1 January 2015

End of Year Survey: 2014


I'm back, how was everyone's Christmas? Mine was quiet for a change, so I should've gotten some reading done but instead binge watched Birds of a Feather. Happy New Year! :)
 
The End of Year Book Survey is hosted by Jamie of The Perpetual Page-Turner
 
 
 


Number Of Books You Read: 152
Number of Re-Reads: 2
Genre You Read The Most From: I have no clue. Crime/Psychological Thrillers? Or Dystopian? Or Fantasy? Or Contemporary? Or Paranormal? All I know is there was no good voodoo and few rip-your-heart-out-I-hate-you-but-I-love-you *cough* All the Bright Places *cough*
 
 
 
1. Best Book(s)You Read In 2014?
 (In no particular order) ;)
 
   
 
  


 
 
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?


The easiest question of all.
 

For so many reasons.

 

 3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014? 
 In a good way:
 
 
Because it made military school look fun (minus the smoke shows-I would die) and one kickass strong female MC.
 
 In a bad way:
 
 
Because if you want to know what happens in this 464 paged book, just read the back instead of reading the 464 pages. You're welcome.
 


 Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?
 I don't really push books on people, so I'm saying books I constantly mention, which have been Heart Shaped Bruise by Tanya Byrne (always) All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven (okay, I only read it in November, but I'll be mentioning it forever and ever). The Cure for Dreaming by Cat Winters and Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill.
 
5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?
 
                                                      

                                     Best Series:                                   

     Best Sequel:     


          Series Ender:     


 6. Favourite new author you discovered in 2014?
I. Cannot. Will. Not. Choose. ARGH FINE.

SarahJMaasJoyNHensleyJenniferNivenLouiseO'NeillStephaniePerkins. THERE THAT'S ONE. :)

 

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?

 I tend to stay away from bullying books, but loved the different view on this one. Love to hate. Hate to love.
 
 8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Obvious reasons.  HOLY CRAP.
 
 9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
 
All of the above? No, not good enough?
When I need a good cry. And a reason to drown my feelings in chocolate. And Vodka.
10. Favourite cover of a book you read in 2014?
I may have hated the book but can't deny that cover is gorgeous. The watercolours! I want to try creating it but I'd probably ruin it. :(
 
11. Most memorable character of 2014?
YOU HURT ME.
Celaena Sardothien because I'm kind of scared of her but love her at the same time.
Sam McKenna in Rites of Passage because she's one of the strongest characters I've come across and she's the kind of friend you'd be lucky to have.
 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
I am going to be technical about this (ha!)
 One that was out in 2014, Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill and The Winners Curse by Marie Rutkoski
Book I read in 2014 but is out in 2015: All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven (seriously, go, read all of them. They'll tear you to pieces but you'll be happy about it, honest.)
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?
 
(I know, I know, again? BUT THEY ARE SO GOOD)
 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read? 
 
 
Honestly, I wanted to slap myself for waiting so long.
 
15. Favourite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
 
 

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?

Shortest: 61 Pages
 
Longest: 640 Pages
 
17. Book That Shocked You The Most 
 
Because even though I knew where it was going, it still blew my mind.
 
18. OTP OF THE YEAR
 
Kestrel and Arin (do they have a ship name?)
CHAOLAENA

19. Favourite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
 Celaena and Rowan in Heir of Fire. Because I ship it. In any way.


20. Favorite Book(s) You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

 

 
21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
 
 
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
 Unless you want a list longer than the survey, I will say pass.
 
23. Best 2014 debut(s) you read?
 
 
 
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
 
  
25. Book(s) That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
 

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?
I cried like a baby. It also made me cry more than The Fault in Our Stars, so it clearly wins.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
 
Because it's MG, and I liked it.
 
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
 
 
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?
 
 Because I haven't really read any underwater settings, so found it different.

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?

 


Because I wanted to slap the parents. It's not a good sign. And so over the top it's ridiculous.


Because I wanted to slap the main character. It's not a good sign. Did I mention I wanted to slap the main character?
 

1. New favourite book blog you discovered in 2014? 
Since I discovered most of the blogs in 2013, this is my easy way out to this dangerous question.
 
2. Favourite review that you wrote in 2014? 
A Thousand Pieces of You because I like ranting. 
 
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
Considering I've only had three. I'm picking, Why it's Important, being an Ally and Bad Taste in Words 
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
 I was so disappointed that I couldn't go to YALC, but I'm hoping to next year. So I'm going with the We Were Liars readalong on twitter because it was fun to see everyone's reactions to certain pages.
 
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?
 All of them.
 
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
 Why It's Important, being an Ally.
 
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love? 
I'm just glad at any love thrown my way (I'm easy like that, obviously) but I was surprised at all the comments for my #LGBTApril Ally post, in the best way possible. And the comments from my Altered (by Jennifer Rush) review, it was the hot guys that done it, I think.
 
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
The Book Outlet because I like going on there to torture myself with all the book deals I could get if the shipping to my country wasn't more than the collective price the books add up to.
 
10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year? 
The Goodreads challenge! Surpassed my 125 books I hoped I'd read, and scheduling posts (I'm a week ahead now).
 



1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?

 
 

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?

 (Okay, I already have it, but it still counts)

3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?

 
 
 4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?

 Was it going to be any other? Nope.

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?
Go to more Blogger Events/Publisher Events/ Signings etc.

 

6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone